In this help article, we will be providing all our findings of compatibility between MainWP and WordPress Multisite. Even though MainWP is not designed for managing WordPress Multisite setups, there are still some features that work properly.
When installing the MainWP Child plugin, it will get installed in the ../wp-content/plugins/ directory, the same as with the Single Site setup. Once installed, MainWP Child can be activated from the Network Settings panel for all subsites. Also, it can be activated separately for individual subsites. Either way, as long as MainWP Child is active for a subsite, a connection with a MainWP Dashboard can be established.
✓ Sites Management
- Adding Sites – when adding individual subdomains, do NOT include the leading / in the subdomain URL. If you have included it, it can result in the 403 Forbidden error. To resolve this issue, use SFTP to delete the plugin, then navigate to your MainWP Dashboard and delete all subdomain sites associated with the multisite. You may also have to clear the server cache.
- The Synchronization process works without problems.
- Fixing detected Security Issues works without problems.
- Reconnecting Sites works normally.
✓ Updates Management
- Updates on the WPMS setup are Detected normally. But one update is displayed as an update available on all subsites. For example, if the Akismet plugin needs to be updated on your WPMS setup, MainWP will show an Akismet update available on all subsites and the main site.
- Updating an item will reflect on all sites in the Network. The same applies to Advanced automatic updates.
- Updating Translations works the same as updating plugins and themes.
- Detecting Abandoned Plugins and Themes works normally. The same as with updates, one detected item reflects all subsites.
✓ Posts Management
- Managing posts works normally in every aspect.
- Publishing content works as expected, including post meta
- Changing Post Status works as expected
- Deleting Posts works as expected
✓ Pages Management
- Managing pages works normally in every aspect.
- Publishing content works as expected, including page meta
- Changing Page Status works as expected
- Deleting Pages works as expected
✓ Plugins Management
- Installing plugins (from WP.org repo or by ZIP upload) works out-of-box, but it is important to say that installing a plugin to a subsite or the main site will reflect on all sites. Once a new plugin is installed, it will be available on all sites in the network.
- Activating and Deactivating plugins works without issues
- The same as with Installing, when Deleting a plugin from any of the sites in the Network, the change will reflect all sites.
✓ Themes Management
- Installing themes (from WP.org repo or by ZIP upload) works out-of-box. Like with plugins, installing a theme to a subsite or the main site will reflect on all sites. Once a new theme is installed, it will be available on all sites in the network.
- Activating themes works without issues. Even if not Network Enabled, a theme can be activated on a subsite.
- Deleting a theme from any of the sites in the Network will remove the theme from all of them.
- While Creating Users, some issues occurred. In multiple attempts to create a new user on all sites, the process failed for some sites, and it worked on just 1 or 2. Apparently, when creating a user on a subsite, if the same user is already created on any other subsite, the process will fail.
- Deleting Users works as expected.