Google Pagespeed Insights requires a Google API Key. Keys are free and can be obtained from Google. To get a key, you will need a Google account, such as a Gmail account. If you do not already have a Google account, you can create one here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp.
- Navigate to https://code.google.com/apis/console
- Log in with your Google Account (Create a Google account if you do not have one)
- Click the “Create Project…” button.
- You should now be looking at the “Services” page; if you are not, click “Services” from the menu on the left.
- Scroll down the Services page until you find “PageSpeed Insights API.” Click the Switch to turn it on. You must agree to Google’s Terms and Conditions to continue.
- After enabling the API, navigate to the “API Access” page from the left menu. Your API Key can be found under “Simple API Access.” Copy this key to your clipboard.
- Paste this API Key into the Options page of Google Pagespeed Insights for WordPress