If you are getting the “Connection timed out after 10000 milliseconds” error message when trying to connect your child site, it’s more than likely that the problem is caused by some security rule on the child site.
There can be multiple potentials culprits:
- Security Plugin on the child site
- The firewall on the child site server
- Cloudflare (or any other Cloud Proxy) firewall
- Custom security rule in .htaccess or any other server config files
To troubleshoot this problem,
- First, try to temporarily disable all security plugins on the child site.
- If that doesn’t help, check the .htaccess file (or any other server config files)
- Check if there are some security rules left by previously deactivated security plugin(s).
- Also, make sure that there are no custom security rules in the file.
- If none from above doesn’t help and you use a cloud proxy firewall for the child site (such as Cloudflare, Sucuri, WebARX, and others…), try to temporarily disable it or whitelist your MainWP Dashboard IP in the firewall settings. Here you can find an example for Cloudflare.
- If you don’t use cloud proxy, or you do, but that is not causing the problem, the last security layer is your server Firewall. Please get in touch with your host support and have them review the firewall logs around the time you tried to connect your child site. Once found, they should be able to whitelist your MainWP Dashboard IP or readjust the WAF rule that got triggered.
If none of this helps, please feel free to contact MainWP Support, and someone from our support team will help.